Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How ya gonna act like my neck don't bling?!

What's the most important accessory in running? Is it the shoes? This seems like a plausible answer. I do like shoes and I must admit that I look pretty sick in my Brooks Adrenaline's but sadly no shoes are NOT the most important accessory in running. Could it be my collection of sweet head and wrist bands? Wow. It's hard for me to argue against this because it's from these items where I draw all my Viking Power, Viking Magic (for Bobsnin & Bitties). This, however, goes more to my vainess and is not entirely mandatory for running. Nay! The single more important accessory in running is the iPod! One simply cannot run without music....well I suppose it's possible but who really wants to run if you can't listen to Right Said Fred and do a little run strut? Not this guy! I'm very particular about my music when I run. I have a designated running iPod. Baron, I know this isn't surprising given my "fleet" of iPods but it is what it is right? Regardless, I thought I'd let you have a little peek into what goes through my head as I run. My favorite running songs are as follows:

1. Hells Bells/Thunderstruck - ACDC
2. State of Love & Trust/Got Some - Pearl Jam
3. Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
4. I Was Wrong/Prison Bound - Social Distortion
5. Gimme Shelter/Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
6. Rocketman - Elton John (It's a Prefontaine thing, lay off me pal)
7. Most 90's early 2000's rap (Ludacris, DMX, Snoop, Dre, 2Pac, Eminem, etc)

Obviously this is just a small sample of songs but these are the most notable ones I can remember giving me a big adrenaline boost in different races in the past. It's an amazing feeling really. You're tired, you hurt, and then you hear "that" song and you start getting jazzed up and it feels like a shower of awesome and you just dig deep and blast out of your funk. Maybe I'm unique in this but I really don't think I could do the running I do without music. From the adrenaline it can provide to just allowing me to zone out for miles at a time it's, for me, the most important aspect of any run!

Speaking of running. I put down 6.02 miles last night. I felt good. Really good actually. It was a little colder but that was mostly because there was a cutting wind. So my total is now 15.25 for the year. 1,995.75 to go. Hey look at that! A milestone. Under 2,000! :)

2 comments:

  1. Showoff. I invented headbands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't dispute you as the creator of the headbands but dare I say that I perfected them? The student becoming the master if you will? :)

    ReplyDelete